Wednesday 7 August 2024

Bible Gapfill exercises

Gapfill: a new way to sharpen your Bible-reading times!

Why not print off this NIV Titus text which has 50 gaps for you to fill in. I've also made one with more challenging gapfills, suitable for seminary-level students.

Often we concentrate better when our mind is 'active' rather than just us passively reading and 'ticking off the box'.

 And sometimes we learn most when we spot the difference between our imagined list of virtues and the actual ones God that breathed out: eg 'I wouldn't have guessed that being disciplined would be a necessary qualification for church leadership.' Or someone else will say after guessing wrongly: 'wow, I forgot to include hospitality as an absolute must for eldership; that's a reminder that God prizes a warm, welcoming spirit more than programme-orientated Westerners like me usually do'.

I made this exercise while preparing a sermon on Titus. It was a great way for me to get into the text. I thought about words which our congregation might be prone to overlook and blanked them out to push them to focus their attention on them!

Feel free to comment below if there are particular ways you benefited from this exercise.



No comments:

Post a Comment